Julie L. Friel’s “Gravy”


In her own words “These feral figures that inhabit my cityscapes are of you! However, there are a few self-portraits in there. This thick mix of gravy is influenced by everything from the primitive art in the Pacific Northwest, to the popular culture, and then on to street art and graffiti.”


Gravy
Artist Statement

Greetings from the gnarly smiles and dotted eyes. These feral figures that inhabit my cityscapes are of you! However, there are a few self portraits in there.This thick mix of gravy is in influenced by everything from the primitive art in the pacific northwest , to the popular culture, and then on to street art and graffiti. I love the impulsive nature of graffiti and the gnarly scrawls that linger for blocks. The layering within the texts, become these Jackson Pollock like landscapes. I am not a "writer", however I allowed my images to be my "tags". I love the immediacy of graffiti and vast audience that an artist has to entertain. The atmosphere in most of my works comes from my neighborhoods past and present. Every figure is big and bold, they have big personalities and are more playful than feral. Their ambiguous nature gives them a spirit that is not to be messed with!

Julie L.. Friel.